Saturday, February 16, 2013

Moms New Rules


I admit it.  Sometimes I feel like I am spinning my wheels in neutral.  Especially on the weekends.  I manage to make a lot of progress during the week, but the weekends fall apart.  Mainly, because my son is at school and my husband is at work during the week and I have all the time in the world and no one is saying "Mom where is...", "Honey, where is....", and generally undoing everything I did.  For the most part, I understand it's their weekend and they are relaxing at home.  It's also my weekend and I don't feel like doing a whole lot, so I expect there will be some relaxation of the housekeeping.  But this is ridiculous.  So in order to save my sanity, I sat down at my computer and, very pointedly, typed out the following rules (manifesto???).  I will be showing it to the boys after dinner tonight and implementing these rules harshly!  Feel free to use them as well.

Mom's new house rules!

  1.    If you take it out, you put it away
  2. A box with a trash bag will be placed in the hallway.  Each day, anything I need to pick up will be deposited in this box.  The trash bag will be thrown away each Monday.  I will not remind you your stuff is in this box.  You are responsible for taking your things out and putting them away before I throw the bag away.  I do not care how valuable or sentimental the items are.  If you didn't value it enough to put it away, I do not value it enough not to throw it away.  This box will be used for one month as an adjustment time.  At the end of the one month, the box will go away, and anything I need to pick up will be thrown away daily.  
  3. Clothes belong in the hamper, the closet (on hangers) or folded in the drawer.  Clothes that are not put in the hamper, will not get washed.  Clothes that do not get washed, get thrown away.  I wash, dry, fold, iron and put the clothes away, the least you can do is put them in the hamper when you take them off, or hang them up if you decide not to wear it.
  4. Dishes belong in the sink or dishwasher if they are dirty, and the cabinets if they are not.  If you bring a dish out of the kitchen, you may finish it.  After finishing, you will have until you get up again to put it away.  Again, I wash, dry and put dishes away, the least you can do is not leave dirty dishes laying all over the house.  If you bring dirty dishes to the sink after I have done the dishes, be prepared to be told to wash it yourself.  It is time to be considerate of my time and the work I do.
  5. I am not a short order cook.  There will be two choices for meals: take it or leave it.  I understand you are picky eaters and you have been indulged long enough.  I will do my best to accommodate your preferences, but I like things you do not and I have just as much right to have my preferences considered.  Especially since I shop for the food, put the food away, prepare the food and clean the subsequent mess.  If you choose to "leave it" you may make yourself whatever you wish, but you are required to clean up the mess.
  6. The kitchen is closed after dinner.  If you want snacks you are on your own.  Again, you are responsible for cleaning the mess.
  7. Trash belongs in the trash bin, not the floor, not the coffee table, not any flat surface.
  8. Every flat surface is not storage space.  Please see rule #2.  
  9. You will be taught to make up your own bed.  You will be required to do this each morning before school, and before 9 am on the weekends.
  10. You will be given a set of chores.  I will expect these chores to be done when you get home from school.  Without argument.  In a timely manner.     
  11. I have tried very hard to not nag you in the past.  This has not worked.  I will begin a new tactic of reminding you until it is done.  You may wish to refer to this as nagging.  I do not care.  I also do not care if you are fast asleep, in the middle of something or otherwise engaged, you will be reminded.  
  12. I understand completely that my standards of clean are different from yours.  However, since I am the household manager, my standards will be followed.  You are required to do very little housekeeping, but you are required not to create more for me to do.  I make your job easier, you will pay me the same consideration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment